We were founded in 1919 by a farmers’ trade organization, to help the farmers get more affordable workers’ compensation protection for their workers who operated steam-driven farming equipment. As the U.S. economy moved from agricultural to industrial, we changed, too, and expanded into offering insurance protection for sawmills, coal mines, and various manufacturing and industrial businesses. As cars became more common, we started to insure them. As the population grew and families moved from cities to suburbs, we were there to insure their homes. And as the economy shifted from industrial to service and technology, we continued to change. We continue to adapt to meet the needs of our customers. Our policyholders own us. We work for them, and not for Wall Street investors.
We sell a diverse array of business insurance, and auto and homeowners insurance. We sell only through independent insurance agents. Independent insurance agents can sell for a variety of insurance companies. They work for their insurance-buying customers and not for the insurance companies. Their customers can feel secure, knowing that their agent is looking out for their best interest and matching them with the best insurance carrier to meet their unique needs.
Facts in Brief
- We ranked 97nd in net premiums written out of approximately 1,000 U.S. property and casualty insurance groups
- We employ more than 830 people
- We sell through more than 900 independent agencies, in 11 states
- We were founded in 1919
- Our principal lines of business are Personal Automobile, other Liability, Workers’ Compensation, Commercial automobile and Homeowners
- We have a financial strength rating of A- (Excellent) from the A.M. Best Company